Learn how to write a great short story in this workshop-style course for beginners and experienced writers alike. Some writing between sessions required.
In this eight-week course, you'll develop and build on your writing skills so you can produce short stories that others will want to read. Topics discussed include structure, characterisation, dialogue, detail, narrative perspective, and more.
Each session involves writing prompts and exercises which are further developed for workshops in class. We also read and discuss stories from established authors, and the workshops provide detailed feedback on your own work.
By the end of the course you’ll have several writing pieces underway and near completion and you'll:
• Be able to develop an idea into a story with shape and structure
• Be able to develop believable characters and effective dialogue
• Be able to use specific detail to bring veracity to a story
• Begin to produce several pieces of fiction for a portfolio
• Have gained confidence to share your work with the group and give feedback to others
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".