An opportunity for beginners, or those with a little te reo, to take part in an intensive language and cultural experience over two consecutive Saturdays. (Discounted fee of $85 for NZ citizens and residents - evidence of eligibility required).
During the two-day workshop we’ll use as much te reo as possible to immerse you in the language and introduce you to te ao Māori (the Māori world), its language, culture and traditions.
The wananga is aimed at those who are new to te reo or who have attended a basic course already but would like a more intensive language experience.
By the end of the two sessions, you will:
• Be introduced to the Māori spiritual and natural worlds and our important connection to them (mana whenua and manu atua)
• Be able to identify and connect with underlying Māori values and customs such as tikanga, manaakitanga, whanaungatanga and whakapapa
• Have participated in singing group waiata and understand its cultural function
• Be able to identify the sounds of Māori letters and pronounce important letter combinations correctly (whakahua)
• Be able to confidently greet people, introduce yourself and communicate basic personal information to others (mihimihi)
• Understand the basic sentence structures for formulaic expressions around the home
Please note that this is a stand-alone course and will not qualify as a pre-requisite for the Intro 2 Te Reo.
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".
For beginners or those who may have completed the Introductory 1 course.
NOTE: This course is subsidised with funding from the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) and for statistical purposes, some additional information is required as part of the enrolment process. A condition of enrolment on this course is that you will attend at least 80% of the course. The first time you enrol, you'll need to provide your National Student Number (NSN) or, if you don't have one, email a copy of your passport or birth certificate as proof of your NZ citizenship or residency to email@example.com.