We all have an accent in English, be it American, Indian, Scottish or Kiwi. Find out how you can change yours to help others understand you more easily, and learn strategies to manage your communication better. [Level 3+]
[Discounted fee of $65 for NZ citizens and residents - if you're a resident/citizen and the course is full, please contact us!]
There are lots of different varieties of English so we all sound different when we speak, but sometimes a strong accent can get in the way of clear communication. Although you won’t end up sounding exactly like a Kiwi, this course will focus on helping you to change your accent so that others can understand you better.
We’ll also look at strategies to manage situations when communication breaks down and to help you feel more confident generally when speaking English.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
• Feel more confident speaking English and being understood by others
• Identify which speech patterns in your English are most challenging to NZ listeners
• Articulate the sounds of NZ English more clearly, with a focus on NZ vowel sound production
• Use more musical and rhythmic intonation patterns when speaking English
• Use word and sentence stress better to sound more natural speaking English
• Understand the principles of elision, redundancy and linking, and use them better
• Use better communication strategies to cope with situations when communication breaks down
NOTE: if the course is full, but you are a NZ citizen or resident, please add your name to the waiting list and also contact us on 04 385 8919 or email@example.com
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".
For ESOL students at levels 3 and above (those who can usually understand native speakers and can make themselves understood in unfamiliar situations). If you are enrolling with us for the first time, please contact the CEC office (04 385 8919) first so that we can check the level of your English to make sure that you are in the correct class.
NOTE: This course is subsidised with funding from the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) and for statistical purposes, some additional information is required as part of the enrolment process. A condition of enrolment on this course is that you will attend all sessions. You must also provide evidence of NZ citizenship or residency, if applicable.