Beginner painters and intermediate artists alike are welcome to this hands-on workshop in oils, one of the oldest and most storied mediums.
In this course we’ll learn about painting with oils - one of the oldest and most cherished mediums - and one which many consider the most intimidating! But by the end of this workshop, you’ll find it to be a forgiving, easy, and even quick medium to create beautiful art with.
We’ll learn some quick methods for getting started in oils, using “alla prima” methods to develop an understanding of the painting process. In addition to learning about the practical side of the medium, there’ll also be opportunities to find out more about the extraordinary history of painting in oils.
By the end of the workshop, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate painting quickly using ‘alla prima’ methods
- Effectively prepare a surface for painting
- Prepare some basic colour mixes and methods of creating tone and contrast
- Introduce transparent glazes and washes over your painting
- Recognise the difference between pigment, binder, solvent etc.
- Discuss the extensive history of painting methods
Most materials included - you’ll only need to bring your own brushes/knives (show your receipt for a 10% discount at The French Art Shop) and an idea for your painting. Please wear clothing suitable for working in a messy environment and prepare a means of transporting your wet painting home.
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".