A more advanced Lipreading course for those who have completed the Introductory 1A and 1B programmes.
Lipreading skills improve with practice and this course gives you the opportunity to start to stretch yourself and cope with more challenging lipreading exercises. Boost your confidence with lipreading and make difficult listening situations more accessible and manage your hearing loss with greater confidence.
Taught by a hearing-impaired tutor, the course provides a supportive environment for all levels of hearing loss and are inclusive for everyone. Partners and family of hearing-impaired people can also attend and professionals working or wanting to work with people with a hearing loss are welcome.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
• Lipread the missing words in more challenging and longer gapped handouts
• Lipread short stories and longer passages of prose with fewer or no clues
• Lipread your partner(s) by working in pairs, small groups and by group participation
• Participate in more complex class quizzes and lipread the answers
• Demonstrate good communication strategies and become more lipreadable yourself
• Start to use the fingerspelling alphabet
Bring pen or pencil and paper and notes and handouts from the previous courses. This course is offered at a reduced fee with the support of the Community Education Centre.
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".
Lipreading - Introductory 1D