We'll have a quick refresh of the basics of genealogical research such as the Genealogical Proof Standard and the problems online searching can present. We'll also look at options for recording and sharing your family history and at the records available for New Zealand, Australia and the British Isles. You'll discover what information they contain and where to find them so can continue researching with your tutor on hand to help!
By the end of the workshop, you’ll be able to:
• Identify the key concepts of the Genealogical Proof Standard
• Explain the difference between primary and secondary sources
• Explain how transcripts differ from sources, their pitfalls and why they are important
• Understand the different ways to record and present your family history
• Search for records to compile your family's history from New Zealand, Australia and the British Isles
Not for beginners – for those who have done some previous genealogical research and who have good computing and internet skills. Bring a USB stick.
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".
Not for beginners – for those who have done some previous genealogical research and who have good computing and internet skills.