Drawing from a scientific framework and empirical research, sessions will be supplemented with videos, case studies and discussion to relate key theories to everyday life in a meaningful and relevant way. If you have been looking for a fun, practical, and informative introduction to psychology, then this is the course for you!
This course is for you if you are:
- interested in psychology and want to learn the fundamentals of the field
- seeking to understand the behaviour of yourself and others
- looking for open discussion and a friendly learning environment to discuss ideas about human behaviour with an expert
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to discuss:
- Foundations of psychology – a basic understanding of some of the major influencers and origins of psychology, including Sigmund Freud (psychoanalysis), Carl Rogers (person-centred counselling), Ivan Pavlov (conditioning processes), and evolutionary psychology.
- Developmental psychology – an understanding of how humans develop, personality, life stages and how life priorities change accordingly over time.
- Biological psychology - the structure and functioning of the brain (neuroanatomy), neuropsychology and how this relates to cognitive processes such as memory and learning.
- Social psychology - how our thoughts, feelings and behaviours are influenced by the presence of others, including theories of attitude, attraction, persuasion and attachment
- Health psychology - application of psychological theory as it relates to physical health, including the “biopsychosocial” model of health and behavioural change.
- Clinical psychology – identification, diagnosis and treatment of common psychological disorders (e.g. anxiety, depression) and an overview of some key psychotherapeutic techniques.
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".