Leather looks great when it is tooled and embellished. Apply carving and tooling techniques to decorate your leather project. Any type of design you want, from Māori, Celtic, Viking, Art Deco or Mandala – whatever you select can be applied to leather. You can also design your own art feature.
Please note the day will be spent carving, tooling and dyeing only, there will not be time to make a completed project. This course lets you uncover the skills of art on leather. You will receive a 300mm x 300mm square of leather, or a belt length to carve or tool your design onto.
Ideas will be offered of how you can take home and sew, lace or glue your finished artwork onto a leather project that you have made in another workshop. In some cases, carved pictures can be framed and hung on the wall. You might apply your designs onto bags, bible covers, journal covers, photos albums etc.
All materials included in course fee.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Complete designs of your choice onto leather
- Tool and emboss leather using specialised tools
- Carve pictures, borders and abstract designs onto leather
- Achieve 3D carving using traditional and contemporary designs
- Colour your project using a variety of spirit based and/or acrylic dye colours.