Looking for exercise that's fun? Try Scottish dancing! It's social and energetic – exercise for body and mind, done to toe-tapping music!
Why do Scottish Country Dancing? Great music and amazing ‘brain gym’ for body and mind! Scottish Country Dancing is a very social form of dancing, danced in "sets" usually with four "couples" - unlike Highland Dancing which is usually solo dancing. Have fun and meet new people, while getting fit!
It’s suitable for all levels of fitness, and is a great way of meeting and socialising with new people. Scottish country dancing is a common pastime for thousands of dancers in many countries, whether you’re in Japan, Germany, the US or Scotland itself.
Wear soft flat shoes and loose clothing and bring a bottle of water. No partner is needed – we change partners for every dance!
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
• Name and perform to beginner level the five major steps of Scottish Country Dancing
• Name and perform ten simple formations
• Participate in five simple Scottish Country dances, in strathspey (slow) and reel/jig (fast) tempo
• Clap rhythm to reel, jig and strathspey tempo
• Have the confidence and skills to join a club to progress your social dancing
[This is a physical activity that involves an element of risk. While all possible measures are taken to prevent accidents or injury, please note that participation is at your own risk].
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".