If you’re a beginner, by the end of the course, you'll be able to:
• Read simple single note melodies in both hands and play some chords
• Understand the piano/keyboard layout, note names and interpret simple 3 note chords and chord symbols
• Accompany a few right-hand melodies with 3-note left hand chords
• Be able to read and clap some common rhythms accurately
• Play a few simple hands-together pieces, working towards a performance
If you already know some basics, you’ll be extended further to include:
• Sight-reading beginner to intermediate fully notated music to perform a written piece with confidence.
• Developing further hand coordination and hand independency
• Identifying a variety of written dynamics, articulations and signs
• Identifying how key signatures and scales are constructed
• Gaining further insight into interpreting chord symbols and using 4 note chords. (Major 7, Minor 7, Dom 7 – in a simple chord progression)
• Gaining some basic knowledge on chord-scale relationship to start simple improvisations
• If you're interested there is also an opportunity to compose your own small piece or music
Keyboards provided – limited to eight participants.
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".