Spent a fortune on plants and still not achieved the dream? Can’t work out why some plants thrive and others barely survive? Ready to make exciting changes but no idea where to start and not much gardening background? This interactive and fun course will answer all your queries and give you confidence to create the garden you want with the right plants to achieve it. Style of garden, colour, plant palette – we’ll cover it all – and more.
Time permitting, we will look at photos of your gardens as “personal case studies” to help you get the most from the course.
After completing the course, you will have created a detailed hand drawn plant design that will be your blue print for the next steps… planting up!
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
•Identify the style of your dream garden and learn what plants will best achieve this and guarantee success
• Identify and work with the site and climate conditions of your garden/outdoor areas to be developed; modify plant choices if necessary
• Accurately draw your detailed planting design on paper and to scale.
• Understand the role of colour and different plants in the garden and incorporate it into your design
• Learn how to improve your soil to guarantee success
• Use your final design to create a “shopping list” of plants
• Calculate anticipated expenditure / prepare a budget (to also include soil improving items)
Please note that this course DOES NOT include:
Hardscaping design. This is available in a separate course.
• Planting up your garden
• Recommending suppliers, service providers and retailers, although knowledge and experiences of the tutor and peers will be shared appropriately
• Pruning practices or plant disease management
• Organic methods of practice, although knowledge and experiences of the tutor and peers will be shared appropriately
• In depth coverage of specific plant groups eg roses, vegetables
Please bring some scrap paper, a notebook, pens, pencils and an eraser.
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".
Suitable for beginners as well as those with some gardening experience.