Join DJ Shan from the Aotearoa DJ Academy and be introduced to the basics of DJing in a practical, hands-on learning experience.
Always wanted to try being a DJ but not sure where to begin? Experienced and professional DJ Shan (Shannon Chng-Rawiri) will teach you all about the technical aspects, equipment and terminology, as well as the industry in general, and enable you to put together a confident short performance.
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to:
- Gain an understanding of the work content and career opportunities in this industry
- Learn the difference between what a DJ is required to deliver in the following situations: Mobile, Club, Radio, Turntablist and Hobby
- Participate in various practical activities: Slip Cueing and Baby Scratch, basic beat matching and song structures
- Gain a good understanding of the equipment used and terminology including: - Tables: pitch control - Mixer: crossfader, input faders, EQ, gain, cue system - Needles: back tracking - Slip Mats
- Learn about Counting Bars and Matching Tempos - The difference between a Bar, Phrases and BPM - Techniques to Count, Hand position and movement etc
- Confidently present a 5 minute performance in class
The course will be held at DJ Shan’s studio at 15a Kent Terrace, Wellington (between Hong Kong Restaurant and Peking House). Bring headphones, a USB with your favourite music and a laptop, if you have one. Limited to eight participants.
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".