In this course we will learn about painting with oils: one of the oldest and most interesting mediums, and one which has an undeserved reputation for being slow or intimidating! By the end of this workshop you will find it to be a forgiving, easy, and even quick medium to create beautiful art with.
Most materials included in course fee - you only need to bring your own bristle brushes and an idea for your painting. Please wear clothing suitable for working in a messy environment, and prepare a means of transporting your wet painting home.
In this workshop we will learn some quick methods for getting started in oils, using “alla prima” (wet on wet) methods to develop an understanding of the painting process. In addition to learning about the practical side of the medium, there will also be opportunities to learn a bit about the extraordinary history of painting in oils.
By the end of the workshop, you’ll be able to:
- Paint pictures quickly using ‘alla prima’ methods.
- Effectively prepare a surface for painting.
- Prepare some basic colour mixes and methods of creating tone and contrast.
- Develop transparent glazes and washes over your painting.
- Recognise the difference between pigment, binder, solvent etc.
- Discuss the extensive history of painting methods
Note: Courses need a minimum number to go ahead so if we don't have enough enrolments a few days before the start date, we have to cancel. We'll let you know by email so please check yours regularly. If you need to cancel your registration, here are our terms and conditions: "What You Need to Know".
Previous painting experience (in any medium) helpful, but not essential.